Setting up a data room can be complicated for some. In reality, a virtual data room setup is relatively straightforward if you know what you are doing.
In its essence, a virtual data room offers a multitude of benefits for each business. In a nutshell, they are the following:
- Data room serves as a secure online space where you can store and share your business information.
- Data rooms facilitate M&A transactions and help businesses significantly ease down their due diligence process.
- Data rooms prove to be helpful for a plenty of other purposes such as board meetings, contract negotiations, investment deals, etc.
A perfectly organized data room can surely bring some additional fruitful results. It lets you enhance many processes which could otherwise slow down your business.
Unlike open-source software, a virtual data room or a VDR solution lets you store your confidential documents at a much lower risk. However, you can still access them anytime you want.
Note that a virtual data room can be extremely beneficial for a business that wants to perform safe financial transactions. This is why more and more business owners and individuals want their very own virtual data room access.
If you are also planning to set up virtual data rooms for an improved and secure data storage, this article is for you. Let us find out what it takes to properly arrange all the documents in a virtual data room.
7 easy steps to set up data rooms
We have broken down the whole process of setting up a data room into a list of simple and easy-to-understand steps. Let us have a look at them.
1. Register your account
The first step to saving your intellectual property on a virtual data room is to register yourself on a chosen virtual data room services provider. Though the registration process varies from one provider to another, the basic procedure is pretty simple and similar throughout most popular solutions.
So, to register your account, just follow the below-mentioned steps.
- At the start, you have to fill in your personal details. They mainly include your name, email, and cell number.
- You have to accept their terms and conditions. So, check the “I agree on terms and conditions” box.
- Now, create a strong password. You will also have to create a security question. Remember this security question as it will be used in case you want to reset your password.
- Enter your cell number in the right format (as required). Make sure you have added all the correct information.
This way you can register yourself in your chosen virtual data room.
2. Create user groups
How to create groups and add members
Creating a group is not difficult at all. Here the important thing to note is that, there are two types of user permissions for most data rooms.
- Administrators. Administrators have full control of the virtual data rooms. They can invite users, manage permissions, and view activity reports.
- Restricted administrators. As the name says, the restricted administrators only have access to restricted controls.
In reality, this feature can be useful to many businesses. This is because, if you want to allow limited access to someone, this restricted mode can be really helpful.
Restricted administrators can manage only selected user groups. They may be authorized to view or change permissions of the chosen participants and access their activity reports at any time that they want.
What types of users exist?
- Collaboration users. Collaboration users can see all of their group’s permitted documents, and post notes to files or folders. They are also allowed limited access for collaboration with other user groups in the data room.
However, if you want them to be able to communicate more than just through messaging on an application then we recommend giving those individuals question-and-answer privileged status so that they may ask questions during Q&A sessions when relevant.
- Individual users. Individual users have very limited access to the data room. They can view permitted documents, create private notes in files and folders for themselves as well as see their personal activity reports if they are given permission by Q&A coordinators. These permissions are only granted at higher levels within this department or through an external agency.
3. Invite users
How to invite users?
Inviting new users is quite simple. Follow these steps to invite new users to your virtual data room.
- You have to click on the “Invite button” user.
- Now you have to create a group you want to invite new users to. For this click on the “New group” button.
- You can now send individual or bulk invitations to a newly created or an existing group in your virtual data room.
How to edit profiles?
- Select the user of which you want to change the profile.
- Then you will be displayed different settings that you can change.
Note that some settings of user profiles cannot be changed. This includes their email address and other personal details. However, you can change their data room access rights.
4. Set access permissions
What types of user permissions could be?
These are available sets of permissions.
- Set by groups. The “Set by groups” option will show you which groups have been granted access to certain files or folders.
- Set by folders. The “Set by folders and files” function is great for finding out who’s allowed in on your secrets.
- Exporting permissions. Permissions are easy to adjust and review with a few clicks. You can also export your permissions for an accurate report on who has what authority in the project.
5. Remember about NDA
Before you share any files within a VDR, it’s important to understand the importance of signing a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) with a party that will be granted access. This will help you ensure high-level protection of confidential materials third-party users and groups will be accessing.
An NDA is basically a contract that protects both parties from sharing confidential information. By signing an NDA, you and your business partners are agreeing not to disclose any information that is shared in the VDR. This includes everything from trade secrets to customer data.
If you or one of your business partners breaches the terms of the NDA, you could face legal penalties. It’s therefore essential to take care when uploading files to a VDR and to only share information that you’re comfortable with being made public.
When choosing a VDR, it’s important to make sure that the provider has a robust security infrastructure in place. This will help ensure that your files are safe and secure from unauthorized access.
6. Upload documents
How could documents be uploaded to data rooms?
When you are working in a virtual data room, you may need to add documents to the system. This can be done in a few different ways, depending on the document and the system.
In many cases, companies can simply upload the document to the virtual data room, or drag and drop it into the interface.
You can also add documents by copying and pasting the link into the virtual data room, or by using a dedicated tool to add them.
Whichever method you choose, make sure that you are adding the correct document to the right place in the system. Otherwise, it can be difficult to find later on.
Which formats could be added to data rooms?
Following are the formats which are widely supported:
- asf |
How to upload documents to the virtual data rooms?
- Log into the virtual data room and select the “Upload” tab for uploading your desired document.
- Click the “Choose File” button.
- Navigate through folders to find the required document file.
- Select it, then click “Open”. That is it.
It is important to note that it does not matter how many files you upload. Their structuring is what really matters. So, arrange them properly to get the best out of your virtual data rooms.
7. Double-check everything
When you are uploading documents to a virtual data room, it’s important to check them for any potential security risks. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Make sure the documents are virus-free.
- Remove any sensitive information before uploading, like social security numbers or bank account numbers. Or use the Redaction feature built into many data rooms to hide that information when sharing.
- Check that all files are in the correct format and size to ensure the right data room experience.
- Verify that the document titles are accurate and descriptive.
- If you are uploading multiple documents in data rooms, make sure they’re in the correct order.
By taking these precautions, you can help ensure that your highly confidential information remains secure when it’s stored in a virtual data room.
Extra recommendations for setting up virtual data rooms
Compared to physical data rooms, virtual data rooms offer much more flexibility for your business specific needs. So, to help you stay on the safe side, here are some recommendations.
These tips will help you perform document exchange or share financial statements for nearly any investment opportunity.
1. Remember: Your system requirements matter
To get the best control over your transactions, you need to ensure that your system requirements are in line with your chosen data rooms. So, make sure you have enough memory and processing power to handle the number of users who will be accessing the room simultaneously.
Also, be sure your internet connection is fast and reliable. If you experience any slowdown or glitches, it can be very disruptive to your team’s work. That way you can focus on your business and not worry about your virtual data room as people do for physical data rooms.
2. Configure the data room
The “General settings” section includes all sorts of options to customize how your project is indexed, encrypted, and maintained. You can figure out all such aspects of your company’s projects.
You can enable/disable automatic document indexing and change what type or size flash drives are used for archiving projects as well as adding contacts that will have access when managing these tasks on an ongoing basis.
3. Consider the integrations available
Most data room services offer integrations with a range of popular apps and services, from communication tools to video conferencing apps, collaboration software, and more.
Another integration worth mentioning is single sign-on. Thanks to it, businesses can enroll their employees in seconds. From there, data room administrators invite users to the project. To join the data room, users simply receive an email with smart links that allow for transparent access without any further registration or authentication process needed. This is very convenient and offers an extra layer of protection.
4. Pay attention to reports tracking activity
There are plenty of reports available to help you track the reports such as financial records.
- Groups overview
- Q&A activity
- History of actions
- Data storage usage
- Folder access
- Files and folders
- Groups and users
5. Customize your settings
A virtual data room is a great way to manage and share large volumes of company information. However, to get the most out of your virtual data room experience, it’s important to customize your settings. In particular, make sure you adjust the following:
- File size limits. Large files can take a long time to upload and may slow down the rest of your virtual data room. To avoid this, be sure to limit the size of your files.
- Company size limits. If you’re working with a large company, it’s important to select an appropriate data room size. This will ensure that all of your company’s information can be stored in the virtual data room without running out of space. Also, it will enhance the overall efficiency of your data room.
- Security settings. When configuring your security settings, be sure to select the options that are best suited for your company. This will help keep your data well-protected and safe from the prying eyes.
By adjusting these settings, you can ensure a smooth and productive virtual data room experience.
6. Use watermarking
By watermarking your work, you create a unique identifier for it. If someone tries to use your work without permission, this can help prove that the work is yours. Watermarking also makes it more difficult for someone to steal your property or pass it off as their own.
While watermarking alone will not protect your work from infringement, it is an important step in protecting your rights and can help you prove ownership in the event of a dispute.
As you have seen, a virtual data room can be an incredibly useful tool for your business. It allows you to keep your information safe and secure while still making it easily accessible to those who need it.
Make sure to take the time to explore all of the features available in your virtual data room and to ask any questions that you may have.
You now also know how to set up a virtual data room without too much effort. The tips we shared will help you figure out those areas which you could otherwise miss.
Remember a clean and secure virtual data room can be the key success factor for your business security. In this regard, one cannot overlook the importance of VDR platforms.